Covered Paris marketplace le Carreau du Temple enters a new phase after a makeover
Located on an historic site in the Marais neighborhood of the 3rd arrondissement (district), the covered marketplace le Carreau du Temple reopened in March 2014 following a major restoration.
This metal-framed structure opened in the 1860s on a former medieval site founded by the military-religious order, the Knights Templar. The government seized the site following the 1789 Revolution. It then imprisoned members of the French royal family there in August 1792 prior to their execution. A wooden structure was built in 1811 to house a market but the current building replaced it 50 years later.
The market sold clothes and textiles in its heyday and also hosted events and exhibitions. It was condemned to demolition in 1976 but reprieved following a public petition. The Carreau received historic monument status in 1982, guaranteeing its preservation.
After consultation with local people the site has become a sports and cultural center. The 6,500m2 Carreau has been transformed into a spacious and luminous structure. It has a 250-seat auditorium and three multi-use halls at ground level. Below ground level, there are dance and sports facilities and a recording studio.
Paris architects studioMilou carried out the renovation and retained many original elements. They stripped the building down to its metal skeleton and replaced the original masonry walls with glass, steel and oak. Glazed roofs admit natural light
The Carreau du Temple renovation will give a further boost to the popularity of this trendy part of Paris.
You might also like: